Easy? YES. Can anyone make it? YES. Do you have to be a baker in order to whip it up? Absolutely not. This is a quick, easy recipe that makes gorgeous round bread with only a mixer and a cookie sheet, cast iron pan, or pizza stone.
I originally came across this recipe here, and they have beautiful pictures of the bread. Please stop by and see what you think!
I usually do half wheat and half white flour, and it turns out beautifully. You will need:
- 1½ cups of warm water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2¼ tsp active-dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 4 cups=bread flour (I do 2 cups of white and 2 cups of wheat)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Put warm water (warm enough that it gives your hand a little sting), honey and yeast in your mixing bowl. Stir until the honey dissolves and then let it feed the yeast for about five minutes. Then add flour, the coconut oil (or melted butter, if you’d prefer), and salt. Knead for ten minutes on low using a dough hook (or with your hands if you don’t have a mixer. No big deal!), then cover the dough with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Flour a flat surface and put your dough on it. Knead it a few times by hand, shape it into a ball, and cover it with the towel to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you’re using a pizza stone or a cast iron pan, put them in the oven and let them preheat inside.
- After the dough rises for the second 30 minutes, put it directly on the pizza stone, cast iron skillet, or cookie sheet. Cut two slits in top for steam to escape. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees for the stone or cookie sheet, and 35 minutes if you’re using a skillet. After you pull it from the oven, run some butter over the top to keep it soft.
This is wonderful with my Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup Recipe or my Easy Zuppa Toscana Recipe. (See a theme here? If it isn’t easy, I’m not making it.) I hope you enjoy!